HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Surgical Technician Certified Operating Room in San Antonio, Texas
Methodist Hospital opened in 1963 as the first hospital in the now internationally acclaimed South Texas Medical Center. From the beginning, we've recognized the unique needs of each of our patients. It's a process that we continue to improve on, creating ways to better serve the community when they need us the most. With 981 beds, Methodist Hospital offers a broad range of specialties including cardiology, cancer care, bone marrow transplants, emergency medicine, neurosciences, maternity care, gynecology and orthopedics.
As the flagship hospital of the Medical Center and of the Methodist Healthcare system of hospitals, we appreciate the support and recognition we receive from the community having been ranked No. 1 in the Express-News Reader's Choice Awards. We also enjoy being the most preferred hospital in San Antonio, as consistently reported by the Consumer Research Corporation. Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in stroke care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. For more information, please visit our website atwww.sahealth.comand select Methodist Hospital under Locations.
In this role you will have the opportunity to support our OR (or CVOR). Key features include:
OR * Largest robotic program nationwide with six da Vinci Xi HD Surgical Robots * Intraoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging* Suite (IMRIS) * Largest Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS*) program in the country in a non-academic setting * Largest neurosurgery and gynecology programs in South Texas * Extensive breast reconstructive surgery program to include DIEP flaps and vascularized lymph node transfer * Growing head and neck oncology surgical services * Level III Trauma Center * 22 state of the art OR suites
CVOR * 4 state of the art CVOR suites, including a hybrid suite * Servicing all of South Texas heart transplants * ECMO program for adults and pediatrics * Busy TAVR program * Congenital heart program We offer you a generous benefits package including: * * * Medical, Dental, Disability and Life Insurance * Flexible Spending Accounts * Paid Time Off * Employee Discount Program * Employee Stock Purchase Program * Tuition Reimbursement
The Surgical Technologist* *assists with the delivery of quality surgical care through planning and anticipating the surgeon/procedure needs and coordinating with the circulating perioperative nurse during surgical procedures. Demonstrates competency in surgical technology; includes gathering and preparing sterile supplies, preparing/maintaining the sterile field, and assisting the surgeon by supplying sterile instruments to the sterile field. Performs routine scrub roles, as well as specifically delegated department duties. Consistently follows current AORN and regulatory standards.
Essential Job Functions:
- Plans for and obtains the equipment and supplies needed for assigned procedures according to physicians' preference and specific patient needs.
- Prepares equipment and supplies according to manufacturer's recommendations and specifications for uses during surgical procedures. Opens sterile packs according to established aseptic techniques and protocols.
- Monitors sterile field during procedure and takes appropriate measures to insure integrity of sterile field
- Prepares medications and solutions for use during procedures under the direction of the Registered Nurse
- Maintains accountability for instruments according to hospital policy throughout the surgical procedure to ensure that no foreign objects are retained in the surgical wound. Takes appropriate action if item count is not correct and informs the appropriate staff.
- Consistently follows safety procedures for Timeout and when handling sharp instruments, powered equipment, hazardous chemicals, and lasers.
EDUCATION REQUIRED: * High school graduate or equivalent education * ONEof the following:A. Graduate of an surgical technologist program *OR* B. 1 year of experience in a hospital setting as a surgical technologist prior to 9/1/2009.
- CERTIFIED: Must have and maintainONEof the following:
A. CST– Certified Surgical Technologist through the National Board for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) (formally the Liaison Council on Certification for the Surgical Technologist) * *OR * B.TS-C*- Tech in Surgery, Certified through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- NON-CERTIFIED: None if they meet the below provision: Per Texas HB 643, surgical technologists entering practice after 09/01/2009 must have and maintain a surgical technologist certification. Individuals that performed in a surgical technologist position prior to 09/01/2009 are not required to obtain a surgical technologist certification.
EXPERIENCE: * None required (unless used in lieu of education as stated above)
Job: *Nursing Support
Title: Surgical Technician Certified Operating Room
Location: Texas-San Antonio-Methodist Hospital
Requisition ID: 02531-107054